Monday, May 12, 2014

Blog 21: Mentorship

Content:
LIA Response to blog:
    Literal
·     Log of specific hours with a total and a description of your duties updated on the right hand side of your blog (DONE)
·     Elmer Rodriguez and Mt. SAC College. Student Services Building
    Interpretive
     What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?
  •  Out of all the things that I gained from my experience, I learned how to  take responsibility for my own actions. I was always told by my mother, growing up, that everything will not magically appear in front of me. That I have to work for what I earn. At first, I just nodded and didn't change but from this experience, I have learned that my mother was correct as always. I could have easily found my second mentor by October if I had only called my first mentor and asked for Elmer's number. Although, it was late, I was able to find him, meet up with him and was able to get my mentorship hours done with him. Although this "important thing" that I gained from this experience might seem small, it means a lot to me. It has snapped me back into reality, thankfully now, when it wasn't TOO late. 
   Applied
     How has what you've done helped you to answer your EQ?  Please explain.

  • I  could have easily found the answers to my EQ by using Google Search, but that wouldn't teach me anything. Using both primary and secondary sources has helped me so much since finding an effective answer isn't the easiest thing to do. Being able to talk to actual experts in the field of my topic, College Counseling is pretty impressive, to say the least. Being a counselor isn't as "fascinating" as being an Archaeologist or a Firefighter but let me tell you, it sure is worth it. It isn't as "impressive" as risking your own life by saving someone else, or owning a business all on your own but it is COMPLETELY worth it. Being able to help each student get what they need makes you feel useful, needed, not that any of us aren't but you get the point. Reading books on my topic isn't the most exciting things to do but it really is interesting. The books open your eyes and make you see things just a little bit different. By reading books and spending time with one of my mentors, it has helped me see the answers that to a counselor, they might seem even obvious, but to me, an amateur, it isn't. Either way, having my mentors and published books on my side, I was able to find the answers to my EQ and was even to figure out which of the three was to be my BEST answer. Other students may have figured it all out much faster and easier than I did, but where's the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment